Skip to main content

Forging my first Blade






A friend of mine introduced me to a guy that forges knives. After hanging out with him and getting to know each other he agreed to teach us how to forge knives as long as we paid for our own materials. After watching him make a couple of knives, he began teaching us how to do it ourselves.
For my first knife I said I wanted to do a large curved blade, which he said was very difficult, but I had my brain and heart set on this design. I also wanted to do a clay treatment on the blade, which he had never done before, so we learned how together.
Needless to say we were both quite pleased and impressed with my first go at forging a blade and fixing a proper handle.
Hand forged Japanese-style blade made of 1080 High-carbon steel.
Full Tang.
Overall length 16 inches.
Blade length 9-3/4 inches.
Olive micarta handle 6-1/4 inches.
And we Clay-fire treated the blade twice, which gives it that smokey look to the metal. It was the first time either of us had ever done it so it didn't come out the way we wanted it to, but I was pleased with the results regardless.
I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surviving Death: A Post Apocalyptic Children's Book

This is a book I made for my design class in college. I used my tried and true theme of the Apocalypse to create my vision of what a children's book would look like if you found one in the rubble of the Apocalypse. It is all done on pieces of poster board that have had the edges burned away for that that extra bit of realism. The binding is made of bits and pieces of discarded trash. I know there are a few typos here and there, but hey, it's the Apocalypse!

EAA Fly-in Airshow photos

One of my favorite hobbies is going to Air Shows with my Grandfather. He is an encyclopedia of information. I love taking photographs of the various aircraft. I try my hardest to get the lighting and the time of day just right so that there is a minimum, if any need for alteration to the photographs. None of these were altered in any way. Taken with my Samsung Galaxy S II.

Generations

Sometimes it's just nice when you can catch a moment.